Peruvian Fish Ceviche
In Peru ceviches are prepared with all kinds of meat, but fish ceviche is the most popular and it is also the emblematic dish of Peruvian gastronomy. Peruvian ceviche can be prepared with any type of fish, however you can choose the one you like the most. Read to the end and learn how to prepare it correctly.
How to make peruvian fish ceviche?
There are many ways to prepare fish ceviche, but here I'll show you the traditional way. It basically consists of marinating the fish in lemon juice for about 5 minutes or less. You don't have to marinate it for hours on end to get a great tasting ceviche. On the contrary to have the fish a long time in the lemon, makes that the flavor of this one is diluted.
If you think that the lemon cooks the fish or kills the bacteria, then I regret to inform you that this is not correct. This is another reason not to prolong unnecessarily the time of preparation of a fish ceviche. Another point to keep in mind is that the onion also suffers from the effects of lemon, and if exposed to acid for a long time, it takes on an appearance as if it were in hot water.
Regarding the ingredients here I will show you the most used, however you can add or remove as you like and seem. A very important recommendation is that all ingredients should be fresh and clean. Keep in mind that as it is a raw dish, especially in summer it could easily become contaminated.
As I mentioned at the beginning you can choose the fish that is of your preference, but I recommend you one of white meat. At the end of the post you will find tips and recommendations to make the preparation of your fish ceviche a success.
Peruvian Fish Ceviche Recipe
Prepare this delicious fish ceviche and enjoy its great taste with your friends or family. This dish is ideal for sharing a Sunday at home or a summer day at the beach. In addition to refreshing is super healthy and nutritious, now we go with the recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 kg fresh fish filets
- 14 limes
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 ají limo peppers (you can replace it with habanero chili)
- 1 tablespoon ground garlic
- 50 grams of fresh cilantro
- 4 fresh lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 boiled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup fresh boiled corn
- 1 cup cancha serrana or roasted andean corn
- Cut the fish into about 1.5 cm cubes and place in a bowl or similar container. Then add the garlic, two teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste, stir so that the condiments penetrate well into the fish.
- Then peel the onions and cut them into slices. Then pass them through cold water with salt and reserve.
- Now chops chili into thin strips and add it to the bowl. If you want your ceviche to be very spicy, squeeze it gently with your fingers before chopping and cut it with everything and seeds.
- Then wash and finely chop the cilantro and add it to the bowl, stir well so that it integrates well with the other ingredients.
- Squeeze the lemons in a bowl until you get a little more than half a cup and add it to the preparation. Stir well all the mixture, when the fish takes on a whitish appearance means that it is already in its marinating point.
- To finish, add the onions previously reserved, mix them well with the fish and rectify the salt level. Serve immediately for a greater enjoyment of this dish.
Tips for making fish ceviche
- You can mix the onions at the end with the fish, or serve them on the side, it all depends on your taste.
- While you chop the onions and squeeze the lemons, you can put the cut and seasoned fish in the refrigerator to make it colder, especially in in summertime.
- Serve the ceviche on a flat plate or a tray, place the fish as a base, to the side put a lettuce leaf, the shelled corn, the field and a portion of sweet potatoes. Add the juice of the preparation to your liking and decorate with yuyo if you have decided to use it. You can also put some strips of aji limo or rocoto on top to garnish it.
If you liked this recipe for fish ceviche, give it a 5-star rating. Help me reach more people by sharing this recipe on the social network of your choice, thank you very much.